SRBC is dedicated to doing its part in the effort to make law firms environmentally sustainable, while fulfilling our mission to provide the best possible representation to our clients. These goals are closely linked, since initiatives aimed at promoting better environmental practices can also increase efficiency and reduce costs.
In 2008, we created an in-house “Green Squad,” tasked with identifying and implementing practices to reduce the firm’s environmental impact and preserve natural resources. The current members of the Green Squad are Dylan Sanders, Phelps Turner and Darin Alicudo. Phelps also serves as the firm’s Chief Sustainability Officer.
Among the initiatives taken by the firm on the Green Squad’s recommendation are:
- Installing motion-sensing lights in all hallways, restrooms and common areas.
- Instituting and modernizing recycling programs for plastic, glass, and aluminum, pens, markers, and highlighters, “K-Cup” cartridges, and plastic bags, and working with other tenants on coordinated recycling programs.
- Supplying and promoting use of refillable water bottles.
- Purchasing stationery and envelopes made with 100% recycled content.
- Promoting duplex and lower-resolution printing.
- Promoting transition from paper to digital copies of Lawyers Weekly and other periodicals.
SRBC recognizes the importance of continually reinforcing and refining initiatives like these, and of implementing new strategies that help make the firm a better environmental citizen.