Michael has achieved excellent results representing clients in catastrophic personal injury matters. In his many years of experience, Michael has obtained numerous large verdicts and settlements in medical malpractice, premises liability, workplace injury, and motor vehicle accident cases. Some representative settlements include a $4 million settlement on behalf of a child who sustained a traumatic brain injury in a bus accident; a $6 million settlement in a body armor case; and a $4.5 million settlement on behalf of the parents of a college student who was murdered in her off-campus apartment.
Michael has played a leading role in litigation against pharmaceutical and medical device companies, and has held a leadership position in the following mass tort litigations:
- Plaintiffs-Co-Lead Coordinating Counsel in In re: Consolidated Fresenius Cases, an action involving claims against the manufacturer of GranuFlo, a defective dialysate product used during dialysis - settlement pending.
- Plaintiffs' Executive Committee in In re: Specially Assigned Transvaginal Mesh Implant Cases.
- Plaintiffs' Lead Coordinating Counsel in In re: Massachusetts State Court Diet Drug litigation in which he helped to obtain settlements for over 2,300 individuals injured by the Fen-Phen diet drug, Redux.
- Plaintiffs-Co-Liaison Counsel in In re: Specially Assigned Taxus Stent Cases - settled.
He has represented law enforcement officers in a nationwide class action against the manufacturers of defective body armor which resulted in a substantial settlement. A follow-up suit against the foreign manufacturer of the material used in the body armor recently settled for $6 Million.
He has lectured on issues of evidence and trial practice with the Massachusetts Continuing Legal Education Institute. Michael has formerly served as Special Counsel to the Supreme Judicial Court Committee on Professional Responsibility for Clerks of the Court.
- American Board of Trial Advocates (ABOTA)
- "Lawyer of the Year" (Mass Tort Litigation/Class Action - Plaintiffs), The Best Lawyers in America, 2017
- The Best Lawyers in America (Personal Injury Litigation and Mass Tort/Class Actions), 2012-2017
- Massachusetts Super Lawyers (Personal Injury Plaintiff: Medical Malpractice), Boston magazine, 2007-2015; Top 100 Lawyers in Massachusetts, 2008
- Rated AV Preeminent by Martindale-Hubbell
- Benchmark Litigation Litigation Star (Plaintiff), Massachusetts, 2013, 2016
- Benchmark Appellate First Circuit Litigation Star, Massachusetts, 2013
- Boston Bar Association, Co-Chair Insurance and Tort Litigation Section (2016 - ); former Chair, Tort Committee
- American Association for Justice
- Massachusetts Academy of Trial Attorneys