Lisa Goodheart concentrates in environmental, real estate and general business litigation. Before joining SRBC, she was a partner in the Boston office of DLA Piper US LLP, and before that a partner at Hill & Barlow, P.C. She has extensive experience in cost recovery cases, permitting appeals, land use disputes, enforcement actions, insurance coverage disputes, design and construction matters, and a broad range of business litigation matters.
An active supporter of the arts community, Lisa has served as a director and officer of several nonprofit corporations operating modern and jazz dance companies, including DanceFusion, Inc., Backyard Dance Theatre, Inc., Impulse Dance Company, Inc., and, currently, Rainbow Tribe, Inc., of which she is also a former assistant artistic director. From 2001 to 2008, she was a member of the Board of Overseers of Celebrity Series of Boston, Inc., the major presenting organization for the performing arts in New England.
- Member, Court Management Advisory Board (CMAB), by appointment of the Supreme Judicial Court (2013-)
- Member, Supreme Judicial Court Committee to Study the Code of Judicial Conduct (2012-)
- Chair, Judicial Nominating Commission, by appointment of Governor Deval L. Patrick (2007-2010)
- Member, DEP Wetlands Appeals Streamlining Task Force (2007)
- Lelia J. Robinson Award Recipient, Women's Bar Association of Massachusetts (2010)
- Chambers USA: America’s Leading Business Lawyers (Environmental Law), 2003-2013
- The Best Lawyers in America (Environmental Law, Litigation - Environmental), 2006-2014
- Best Lawyers Boston Environmental Lawyer of the Year for 2014
- Best Lawyers Boston Litigation - Environmental Lawyer of the Year for 2012
- Lawdragon 3000 Leading Lawyers in America, 2010, 2007, 2006
- The International Who's Who of Environmental Lawyers, 2011-2013; Who’s Who Legal USA: Environment, 2006
- Massachusetts Super Lawyers (Environmental), Boston magazine, 2004-2013; Top 100 Lawyers in Massachusetts, 2007-2013; Top 100 Lawyers in New England, 2007-2013; Top 50 Female Lawyers in Massachusetts, 2004-2013; Top 50 Female Lawyers in New England, 2007-2013
- Named to "The Power List - Lawyers Weekly's roster of the state's most influential attorneys" (Massachusetts Lawyers Weekly, December 2009)
- One of 10 “Lawyers of the Year” for 1997 (Massachusetts Lawyers Weekly)
- Rated AV® Preeminent™ by Martindale-Hubbell
- 2013 Top Rated Lawyer in Appellate Law by American Lawyer Media and Martindale-Hubbell
Selected Reported Decisions:
- Regis College v. Town of Weston, 462 Mass. 280 (2012) (landmark Dover Amendment decision, establishing standard sought by clients for determining whether a non-profit educational corporation's proposed real estate development is exempt from local zoning laws as a land use "for educational purposes")
- Ware Real Estate, LLC v. Town of Ware, 2012 WL 751739 (2012) (successful pursuit of declaratory and injunctive relief against municipality that sought to revoke a special permit for operation of construction and demolition waste recycling facility)
- Bank v. Thermo Elemental, Inc., 451 Mass. 638 (2008) (successful pursuit of contractual indemnity claim and environmental response cost recovery action)
- Friends and Fishers of Edgartown Great Pond, Inc. v. Department of Environmental Protection, 446 Mass. 830 (2006) (successful defense of MassDEP groundwater discharge permit for wastewater treatment plant)
- Weston Forest and Trail Ass'n v. Fishman, 66 Mass. App. Ct. 654 (2006) (successful enforcement of conservation restriction, establishing that laches and estoppel are not available as defenses to actions by private entities to protect the public interest in conservation restrictions)
- Emmons v. White, 58 Mass. App. Ct. 54 (2003) (successful enforcement of unrecorded release of easement, based on buyer's actual knowledge of release agreement)
- Hanson Housing Authority v. Dryvit System, Inc., 29 Mass. App. Ct. 440 (1990) (successful defense against claims for alleged design defects, breach of warranties and misrepresentations, on statute of limitations grounds; litigated under the name of Lisa D. Campolo)
- Boston Bar Association (President, 2011-2012; President-Elect, 2010-2011; Vice-President, 2009-2010; Treasurer, 2008-2009; Executive Committee and Council Member, 2005-2012; Co-Chair, Environmental Law Section, 2002-2004)
- New England Women in Real Estate (NEWIRE) (President, 2007-2008; President-Elect, 2006-2007; Steering Committee Member, 2004-2008; Co-Chair, Programs and Seminars Committee, 2003-2006)
- Boston Bar Foundation (President-Elect, 2013-2014; Trustee, 2010-; Grants Committee, 2012-; Society of Fellows Committee, 2012-)
- American Constitution Society, Boston Lawyer Chapter (Member, Board of Advisors, 2011-)
- American Bar Association (Member, Standing Committee on Environmental Law, 2005-2008; Co-Chair, 2007 National Law and Policy Conference on Global Warming)
- Women's Bar Association of Massachusetts
- Massachusetts Continuing Legal Education, Inc. (MCLE) (Member, Civil Litigation Curriculum Advisory Committee, 1998-2010)
December 09, 2013 -
Lessons Learned in Public Interest Litigation and How to Find Your Next Pro Bono Opportunity
SRBC Partner Lisa Goodheart joins a panel of seasoned litigators, along with their clients, to discuss best litigation practices to achieve social change. The program, "...
November 26, 2013 -
Lisa Goodheart: “Relationships Are at the Heart of What We Do in the Profession”
SRBC Partner Lisa Goodheart is featured in the BBA blog post "Relationships Are at the Heart of What We Do in the Profession." In the BBA interview, ...
November 01, 2013 -
Lisa C. Goodheart Named President-Elect of Boston Bar Foundation
SRBC partner Lisa Goodheart, co-chair of the firm's Environmental Law and Real Estate Litigation practice groups, has been elected by the board of trustees of the Boston Bar Foundation to serve as the BBF's 2013-14 President-Elect.
October 22, 2013 -
25 SRBC Lawyers Recognized as Massachusetts Super Lawyers
Twenty-five lawyers from SRBC, more than in any prior year, have been included in this year’s edition of Massachusetts Super Lawyers. Super Lawyers annually publishes the results of a peer-survey and independent-research study designed to identify leading lawyers by ...
August 22, 2013 -
Lisa Goodheart Appointed by SJC to Court Management Advisory Board
SRBC partner Lisa Goodheart has been appointed by the Supreme Judicial Court to the Court Management Advisory Board (CMAB). Lisa will serve a three-year term beginning on September 1, 2013.
August 15, 2013 -
Fifteen SRBC Partners Named “2014 Best Lawyers” and Two Ranked “Lawyer of the Year”
Fifteen SRBC partners have been ranked at the top of their profession,
including two partners earning special recognition as “Lawyer of the Year,” in
the 2014 edition of The Best Lawyers in America. Best Lawyers
is the oldest peer-review publication in the legal ...
April 14, 2013 -
Six SRBC Partners Named Top Female Leaders
Sugarman, Rogers congratulates its six female partners who were selected among the Top 50 Women Lawyers in Massachusetts, by Super Lawyers. This year’s list includes Lisa C. Goodheart, ...
October 24, 2012 -
22 SRBC Attorneys Recognized as "Super Lawyers"
Twenty-two SRBC lawyers have been listed among the top attorneys in Massachusetts in the annual Super Lawyers rankings.
September 12, 2012 -
Fifteen SRBC Lawyers Named Best Lawyers in America
Fifteen of SRBC's partners have been selected for inclusion in the 2013 edition of The Best Lawyers in America. Best Lawyers calls itself “the definitive guide to legal excellence in the United States.” The publication annually ...
March 09, 2012 -
Appeals Court Affirms Judgment for C&D Waste Facility Against Town's Challenge
The Massachusetts Appeals Court today affirmed a December 2010 trial court victory by SRBC partners Lisa Goodheart and Dylan Sanders for the owners of a central Massachusetts construction and demolition ("C&D") waste recycling facility, vindicating the facility's special permit and ...
March 07, 2012 -
Barshak and Goodheart Recognized by Chambers USA
The 2012 edition of the legal directory Chambers USA recognizes SRBC partners Edward Barshak and Lisa Goodheart as leaders in their fields. The annual publication conducts in-depth interviews with a lawyer's peers and clients, and asks for assessment of a lawyer's technical legal ability, ...