< Back To All Attorneys
- J.D., Boston University School of Law (cum laude; Note and Case Editor, Boston University Law Review), 1985
- B.S., Cornell University (with distinction), 1982
Christine Netski concentrates her practice in business, employment and product liability litigation. She has obtained successful results for clients in a variety of industries, including financial services, technology, security services, professional services, commercial real estate, insurance, retail, distribution and consumer product manufacturing. She has represented clients in matters involving non-competition and non-solicitation agreements, misappropriation of trade secrets, shareholder disputes, breach of fiduciary duty, fraud, misrepresentation, civil conspiracy, defamation, commercial disparagement, unfair trade practices, bad faith insurance practices, public accommodations, consumer class actions and breach of contract.
Christine’s employment practice includes representing management and individuals in cases involving allegations of race, gender, age and disability discrimination, sexual harassment, wrongful discharge and other employment-related claims, including in proceedings before state and federal administrative agencies. She also counsels business executives with respect to contractual and other employment-related issues.
Christine is the firm's Managing Partner and a member of the firm's Executive Committee.
Representative Matters and Experience
- Jury verdict in favor of recruitment outsourcing software and service provider, defeating multi-million dollar claim by customer for alleged fraud, negligent misrepresentation and breach of contract, resulting in a $2.1 million judgment on provider’s counterclaim for breach of contract
- $4 million arbitration award on behalf of appliance manufacturer seeking contractual indemnification against a component part supplier for underlying property damage claims arising out of defect in component part
- Jury verdict in favor of Oracle Applications implementer on claim by customer seeking to recover consequential damages for breach of “fixed bid” contract
- Favorable resolution on behalf of seller of software company of buyer’s claims for breach of stock purchase agreement and violations of Chapter 93A in connection with certain representations and warranties and the alleged failure to transfer certain software licenses
- Summary judgment in favor of release of information service provider that precluded named plaintiffs and prospective class members from recovering damages in class action asserting that provider had imposed unlawful charges when fulfilling medical records requests
- Pre-trial dismissal of class allegations in consumer protection action brought against vehicle storage and auction facility for alleged unfair and deceptive trade practices in connection with its standard notice to vehicle owners
- Favorable resolution of a defamation and commercial disparagement claim on behalf of a consumer product manufacturer alleging that the sponsor of an educational seminar for the client’s customers made false statements concerning the client’s products
- Summary judgment in favor of a consumer product manufacturer in misrepresentation claim by patent owner seeking a licensing arrangement, based upon a successful Daubert challenge to the plaintiff’s proposed expert testimony on lost profits
- Preliminary injunction on behalf of technology consulting firm against a former employee and favorable settlement with new employer after discovery on employee’s misappropriation of trade secrets and violation of the injunction
- Representation of major mutual fund company in non-compete case against high-profile portfolio manager, resulting in favorable settlement on the eve of evidentiary hearing on company’s request for injunctive relief
- Massachusetts defense counsel for two major national retailers in discrimination, sexual harassment, wage and hour, and public accommodation claims
- Favorable summary judgment rulings for employers in numerous discrimination, sexual harassment and civil rights matters
- Successful appeal overturning employee’s jury verdict against employer based upon lack of subject matter jurisdiction over workers’ compensation claims
- Fellow, Litigation Counsel of America
- Honoree, Top Women of Law, Massachusetts Lawyers Weekly, 2012
- The Best Lawyers in America, (Commercial Litigation, 2013-2017, Litigation - Labor & Employment, 2017)
- 2013 Top Rated Lawyer in Labor & Employment by ALM and Martindale-Hubbell
- Benchmark Litigation “Litigation Star,” Massachusetts, 2013-2016
- Benchmark Litigation “Top 250 Women in Litigation,” Massachusetts, 2013-2014
- Benchmark Appellate “First Circuit Litigation Star,” Massachusetts, 2013
- Massachusetts Super Lawyers (Business Litigation), Boston magazine, 2005-2015; Top 100 Lawyers in Massachusetts, 2013; Top 50 Female Lawyers in Massachusetts, 2008-2016; Top 50 Female Lawyers in New England, 2011-2013, 2015
- Rated AV® Preeminent™ by Martindale-Hubbell
- Boston Bar Association (Treasurer and Chair, Finance Committee, 2015-; Member, Executive Committee, 2013-; Member, Council, 2012-; Co-Chair, BBA Task Force on the Future of the Profession, 2010-2011; Co-Chair, BBA Strategic Planning Committee, 2008-2009; Chair, BBA Nominating Committee, 2007; Member, Litigation and Labor and Employment Sections)
- Board of Editors, Boston Bar Journal (Chair, 2004-2007; Member, 2002-2007)
- Women’s Bar Association (Host, 2013-2014; Co-Chair, Women's Leadership Initiative, 2011-2012; Co-Chair, Appointments, Awards & Endorsements Committee, 2006-2008; Co-Chair, Senior Practice Group, 2002-2006)
- Boston University School of Law Small-Midsized Firm Apprenticeship Program, (Member, Advisory Board 2014 - )
- Massachusetts Bar Association (Labor and Employment Section)
- Case Conferencer for Boston Bar Association/Boston Municipal Court Pre-Trial Case Conference Program
- Massachusetts Appleseed Center for Law and Justice (Vice President, 2011-2015; Board Member, 2010-2011)
Representative Speaking Engagements:
- Panelist, "Both Sides of the Bar," MassDLA/MATA, March 2016
- Panelist, "The Supremes: Review of 2014 Employment Cases," Boston Bar Association, September 2014
- Panelist, "Connecting with your Jury," Women's Bar Association, April 2014
- Presenter, "Defending Depositions: What Every Litigator Needs to Know," Boston Bar Association, April 2014
- Panelist, "Women's Breakfast Forum," Massachusetts Lawyers Weekly, November 2012
- Presenter, "A Discussion of the Report on the Future of the Legal Profession," Boston Bar Association, May 2012
- Panelist, "Interference with Business Relations," Massachusetts Continuing Legal Education, Inc., March 2011
- Moderator, “Demystifying the Path to the Bench,” Massachusetts Women’s Bar Association, October 2007
- Presenter, “Strategies to Prevent Lawsuits Arising from Employment Termination,” Council on Education in Management seminar, May 2007
- "Leave Policies" - Massachusetts Wage and Hours Handbook, 4th Edition, Chapter 5 co-author (MCLE, Inc. 2016)
- Interference with Business Relations (MCLE, Inc. 2011)
- Ethical "Red Flags" for Counsel Retained by Insurer to Defend Insured, BBA Employment Law Seminar (June, 1999)
- Co-author, "Chapter 93A and Chapter 176D - Recent Developments," a chapter in Raising the Stakes: Defending G.L. c. 93A and G.L. 176D Claims (Massachusetts Defense Lawyers Association, 1994)
- U.S. District Court for the District of Massachusetts
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the First Circuit
February 24, 2017 -
Christine Netski featured in Boston Bar Association's "Voices of the Bar"
Christine Netski was recently featured in the Boston Bar Association’s Voices of the Bar blog, "...
January 09, 2017 -
Sugarman Rogers Names Christine M. Netski as Managing Partner, Regina E. Roman to become General Counsel
Today Sugarman, Rogers, Barshak & Cohen, P.C. announced that it has named Christine M. Netski as Managing Partner and Chair of the Executive Committee. In her new role, Netski will work with the partnership and executive staff on the ...
October 24, 2016 -
Sugarman Rogers Makes the Massachusetts Supreme Judicial Court's "Pro Bono Honor Roll"
As we celebrate National Pro Bono Week and Massachusetts Pro Bono Month, we
are pleased to announce that Sugarman Rogers has qualified for the Massachusetts
Supreme Judicial Court's (SJC) 2015 "Pro Bono Honor Roll."
October 21, 2016 -
Nineteen Sugarman Rogers Attorneys Recognized as "Super Lawyers" and "Rising Stars"
Nineteen lawyers from Sugarman Rogers have been included in this year’s edition of the Massachusetts "Super Lawyers" and "Rising Stars" lists.
Sixteen attorneys have been named to the 2016 "Super Lawyers" list, an honor based on peer review and professional ...Learn more
August 15, 2016 -
Twelve Sugarman Rogers Partners Named 2017 Best Lawyers in America
Sugarman Rogers is pleased to announce that twelve of its attorneys – over 70 percent of the firm’s partners – have been selected for inclusion in the 2017 edition of ...
June 10, 2016 -
Self-Help Discovery May Constitute Protected Activity
Verdrager v. Mintz, Levin, Cohn, Ferris, Glovsky & Popeo, P.C., et al.
On May 31, 2016, in a case of first impression, the Massachusetts Supreme Judicial Court (“SJC”) ruled that an employee who accesses and copies confidential company documents and shares those documents with an ...Learn more
May 26, 2016 -
Constructive Discharge: Under Title VII, Limitations Period Starts When Employee Gives Notice of Resignation
On May 23, 2016, the Supreme Court of the United States ruled in Green v. Brennan that the statute of limitations for a federal employee's constructive discharge claim under Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 begins to run on the date the employee gives notice of his or her resignation. ...
May 19, 2016 -
New DOL Overtime Rule Regarding "White Collar Exemptions" Key Provisions and Compliance Options
On May 18, 2016, the U.S. Department of Labor ("DOL") released its highly anticipated Final Rule Defining and Delimiting the Exemptions for Executive, Administrative, Professional, Outside Sales and Computer Employees (the "Final Rule"). The Final Rule extends overtime pay eligibility to millions ...
May 01, 2016 -
100% of Sugarman, Rogers, Barshak & Cohen Female Partners Named “Top Women Attorneys in Massachusetts"
Sugarman, Rogers, Barshak & Cohen is proud to announce that all of their female partners have been named “Top Women Attorneys in Massachusetts," by Super Lawyers® and were featured in the April issue of Boston magazine.
March 14, 2016 -
SJC’s Esler Decision Is A Reminder of the FMLA’s “Proscriptive” Reach
In Esler v. Sylvia-Reardon and Massachusetts General Hospital, SJC-11899, 2015 WL 10435938 (Mar. 9, 2016), the Massachusetts Supreme Judicial Court (“SJC”) revived a verdict in favor of an employee who claimed that her employer’s refusal to reinstate her after she exhausted all available ...
March 07, 2016 -
Employment Law Alert: Bulwer v. Mount Auburn Hosp., No. SJC-11875, 2015 WL 10376073 (Mass. Feb. 29, 2016).
In a decision published on February 29, 2016,
Bulwer v. Mount Auburn Hospital, the Massachusetts Supreme Judicial
Court clarified the evidentiary burden a plaintiff must meet to overcome a
motion for summary judgment in an employment discrimination claim under Mass.
Gen. Laws ch. 151B, § ...
March 03, 2016 -
Christine Netski to join a MassDLA/MATA panel “Both Sides of the Bar”
January 28, 2016 -
SRBC Supports “Walk to the Hill for Civil Legal Aid”
SRBC proudly supports the Equal Justice Coalition’s 17th Annual “Walk to the Hill for Civil Legal Aid” on January 28. The walk is one of the largest lobby days at the Massachusetts State House, with a goal to urge lawmakers to approve a budget of $27 million for programs that provide civil legal aid to ...
November 09, 2015 -
Christine Netski & Michael Appel Recognized as Litigation Stars
SRBC is pleased to announce that two of its attorneys have been recognized by Benchmark Litigation, a leading national law publication. Christine M. Netski and ...
November 06, 2015 -
SRBC Lawyers Recognized as Massachusetts Super Lawyers
Twenty lawyers from SRBC have been included in this year’s edition of Massachusetts Super Lawyers
. Super Lawyers
annually publishes the results of a peer-survey and independent-research study designed to identify leading lawyers by state. In this year’s listings, SRBC ...Learn more
September 23, 2015 -
Christine M. Netski Elected Treasurer of the Boston Bar Association
SRBC is delighted to announce that Christine M. Netski, Co-Chair of the firm’s Business Litigation group and Chair of the Employment Law group, has been elected Treasurer of the Boston Bar Association. Chris has served on the Executive Committee of the BBA and the Boston Bar Foundation Fellows ...
August 21, 2015 -
Thirteen SRBC Partners Named to The Best Lawyers in America 2016 List
Thirteen partners from the Boston-based civil litigation firm Sugarman, Rogers, Barshak & Cohen, P.C. received top rankings in the 2016 edition of The Best Lawyers in America® for their skills and expertise in their respective practice areas.
May 14, 2015 -
Attorney General Proposes Regulations on Sick Time
Massachusetts's Earned Sick Time law, passed by voters via ballot initiative last November, will take effect on July 1, 2015. The Office of the Attorney General has released proposed regulations to implement and clarify the scope of the new law. The ...
September/October 2012 -
Netski Profiled in Litigation Commentary & Review
SRBC partner Christine Netski is profiled in the current edition of Litigation Commentary & Review, a publication of the ...