Christine Netski concentrates her practice in business, employment and product liability litigation. She has obtained successful results for clients in a variety of industries, including financial services, technology, security services, professional services, commercial real estate, insurance, retail, distribution and consumer product manufacturing. She has represented clients in matters involving non-competition and non-solicitation agreements, misappropriation of trade secrets, shareholder disputes, breach of fiduciary duty, fraud, misrepresentation, civil conspiracy, defamation, commercial disparagement, unfair trade practices, bad faith insurance practices, public accommodations, consumer class actions and breach of contract.
Christine’s employment practice includes representing management and individuals in cases involving allegations of race, gender, age and disability discrimination, sexual harassment, wrongful discharge and other employment-related claims, including in proceedings before state and federal administrative agencies. She also counsels business executives with respect to contractual and other employment-related issues.
Representative Matters and Experience
- Jury verdict in favor of recruitment outsourcing software and service provider, defeating multi-million dollar claim by customer for alleged fraud, negligent misrepresentation and breach of contract, resulting in a $2.1 million judgment on provider’s counterclaim for breach of contract
- $4 million arbitration award on behalf of appliance manufacturer seeking contractual indemnification against a component part supplier for underlying property damage claims arising out of defect in component part
- Jury verdict in favor of Oracle Applications implementer on claim by customer seeking to recover consequential damages for breach of “fixed bid” contract
- Favorable resolution on behalf of seller of software company of buyer’s claims for breach of the stock purchase agreement and violations of Chapter 93A in connection with certain representations and warranties and the alleged failure to transfer certain software licenses
- Pre-trial dismissal of class allegations in consumer protection action brought against vehicle storage and auction facility for alleged unfair and deceptive trade practices in connection with its standard notice to vehicle owners
- Favorable resolution of a defamation and commercial disparagement claim on behalf of a consumer product manufacturer alleging that the sponsor of an educational seminar for the client’s customers made false statements concerning the client’s products
- Summary judgment in favor of a consumer product manufacturer in misrepresentation claim by patent owner seeking a licensing arrangement, based upon a successful Daubert challenge to the plaintiff’s proposed expert testimony on lost profits
- Preliminary injunction on behalf of technology consulting firm against a former employee and favorable settlement with new employer after discovery on employee’s misappropriation of trade secrets and violation of the injunction
- Representation of major mutual fund company in non-compete case against high-profile portfolio manager, resulting in favorable settlement on the eve of evidentiary hearing on company’s request for injunctive relief
- Massachusetts defense counsel for two major national retailers in discrimination, sexual harassment, wage and hour, and public accommodation claims
- Favorable summary judgment rulings for employers in numerous discrimination, sexual harassment and public accommodation matters
- Successful appeal overturning employee’s jury verdict against employer based upon lack of subject matter jurisdiction over workers’ compensation claims
- Fellow, Litigation Counsel of America
- Honoree, Top Women of Law, Massachusetts Lawyers Weekly, 2012
- The Best Lawyers in America, (Commercial Litigation), 2013-2014
- 2013 Top Rated Lawyer in Labor & Employment by ALM and Martindale-Hubbell
- Benchmark Litigation “Litigation Star” and “Top 250 Women in Litigation,” Massachusetts, 2013
- Benchmark Appellate “First Circuit Litigation Star,” Massachusetts, 2013
- Massachusetts Super Lawyers (Business Litigation), Boston magazine, 2005-2013; Top 100 Lawyers in Massachusetts, 2013; Top 50 Female Lawyers in Massachusetts, 2008-2013; Top 50 Female Lawyers in New England, 2011-2013
- Rated AV® Preeminent™ by Martindale-Hubbell
- Boston Bar Association (Member, Executive Committee, 2013-; Member, Council, 2012-; Co-Chair, BBA Task Force on the Future of the Profession, 2010-2011; Co-Chair, BBA Strategic Planning Committee, 2008-2009; Chair, BBA Nominating Committee, 2007; Member, Litigation and Labor and Employment Sections)
- Board of Editors, Boston Bar Journal (Chair, 2004-2007; Member, 2002-2007)
- Women’s Bar Association (Co-Chair, Women's Leadership Initiative, 2011-; Co-Chair, Appointments, Awards & Endorsements Committee, 2006-2008; Co-Chair, Senior Practice Group, 2002-2006)
- Massachusetts Bar Association (Labor and Employment Section)
- Case Conferencer for Boston Bar Association/Boston Municipal Court Pre-Trial Case Conference Program
- Massachusetts Appleseed Center for Law and Justice (Vice President, 2011-; Board Member, 2010-2011)
Representative Speaking Engagements:
- Panelist, "Women's Breakfast Forum," Massachusetts Lawyers Weekly, November 2012
- Presenter, "A Discussion of the Report on the Future of the Legal Profession," Boston Bar Association, May 2012
- Panelist, "Interference with Business Relations," Massachusetts Continuing Legal Education, Inc., March 2011
- Moderator, “Demystifying the Path to the Bench,” Massachusetts Women’s Bar Association, October 2007
- Presenter, “Strategies to Prevent Lawsuits Arising from Employment Termination,” Council on Education in Management seminar, May 2007
- Interference with Business Relations (MCLE, Inc. 2011)
- Ethical "Red Flags" for Counsel Retained by Insurer to Defend Insured, BBA Employment Law Seminar (June, 1999)
- Co-author, "Chapter 93A and Chapter 176D - Recent Developments," a chapter in Raising the Stakes: Defending G.L. c. 93A and G.L. 176D Claims (Massachusetts Defense Lawyers Association, 1994)
February 11, 2014 -
SRBC Supports "Walk to the Hill" for Civil Legal Aid
SRBC participated in the Equal Justice Coalition's 15th Annual "Walk to the Hill" for Civil Legal Aid on January 30. The walk is one of the largest annual lobbying events at the Massachusetts State House. This year more than 500 attorneys gathered to urge lawmakers to approve a budget ...
October 22, 2013 -
25 SRBC Lawyers Recognized as Massachusetts Super Lawyers
Twenty-five lawyers from SRBC, more than in any prior year, have been included in this year’s edition of Massachusetts Super Lawyers. Super Lawyers annually publishes the results of a peer-survey and independent-research study designed to identify leading lawyers by ...
August 15, 2013 -
Fifteen SRBC Partners Named “2014 Best Lawyers” and Two Ranked “Lawyer of the Year”
Fifteen SRBC partners have been ranked at the top of their profession,
including two partners earning special recognition as “Lawyer of the Year,” in
the 2014 edition of The Best Lawyers in America. Best Lawyers
is the oldest peer-review publication in the legal ...
June 17, 2013 -
Q&A with Christine Netski & BBA - Learning from Leadership
The Boston Bar Association's newest blog “Tipping the Scales” features SRBC Partner Christine Netski in its inaugural post “...
April 14, 2013 -
Six SRBC Partners Named Top Female Leaders
Sugarman, Rogers congratulates its six female partners who were selected among the Top 50 Women Lawyers in Massachusetts, by Super Lawyers. This year’s list includes Lisa C. Goodheart, ...
October 24, 2012 -
22 SRBC Attorneys Recognized as "Super Lawyers"
Twenty-two SRBC lawyers have been listed among the top attorneys in Massachusetts in the annual Super Lawyers rankings.
September 12, 2012 -
Fifteen SRBC Lawyers Named Best Lawyers in America
Fifteen of SRBC's partners have been selected for inclusion in the 2013 edition of The Best Lawyers in America. Best Lawyers calls itself “the definitive guide to legal excellence in the United States.” The publication annually ...
August 22, 2012 -
Lawyers Weekly Features Christine Netski and Netflix Case
SRBC partner Christine Netski has been featured in an article in Massachusetts Lawyers Weekly discussing the case National Association of the Deaf v. Netflix, in which Christine has been involved as co-counsel for the plaintiffs, and federal district judge Michael ...
August 06, 2012 -
Christine Netski Named a 2012 “Top Woman of Law”
SRBC’s Christine Netski has been named one of 2012’s “Top Women of Law” by Massachusetts Lawyers Weekly. The annual honor is given to “women who have made significant professional strides and demonstrated outstanding accomplishments in private practice, the corporate arena and social advocacy.” ...
July 13, 2012 -
Christine Netski Elected to Boston Bar Association Council
The Boston Bar Association has announced the results of its 2012 annual election of officers and members of the BBA Council. SRBC partner Christine Netski was elected to a three-year term as a member of the Council, the 34-member governing body of the BBA. Congratulations, Chris!