Dylan concentrates in real estate, land use, environmental and business litigation and administrative law. His experience includes representing developers and property owners in zoning, permitting and land use litigation, including litigation under the state zoning act (Chapter 40A), state hazardous waste laws (Chapter 21E and the Massachusetts Contingency Plan), wetlands laws, waterways laws (Chapter 91) and other environmental statutes and regulations, as well as handling a wide range of general business litigation matters. He also has experience in product liability matters, including consumer product safety and mass product liability torts, as well professional malpractice defense.
Dylan has extensive experience practicing in federal and state courts, including the U.S. District Court of Massachusetts, the Land Court and Superior Court departments of the trial court, the Massachusetts Court of Appeals, and the Supreme Judicial Court. Dylan has participated in the oral arguments of two landmark environmental cases before the Supreme Judicial Court: Bank v. Thermo Elemental, 451 Mass. 638 (2008) and Moot v. Golledge, 448 Mass. 340 (2007).
Before joining SRBC, Dylan was a partner in the Boston office of DLA Piper US LLP, and prior to that an associate at Hill & Barlow.
- The Best Lawyers in America (Environmental Law & Litigation - Environmental), 2013-2015
- Massachusetts Super Lawyers (Environmental Law), Boston magazine, 2013 Massachusetts Super Lawyers "Rising Star,” Boston magazine (2005, 2006)
- Founder’s Award, Alternatives for the Community and the Environment, in recognition of pro bono work in the environmental field, 2005
Selected Reported Decisions:
- Ware Realty Trust v. Town of Ware , -- Mass. App. Ct. -- (2012) (successful defense of a construction and demolition recycling facility against attempts by town to shut it down)
- Eldamar Development Company v. Sweeney, 27 Mass. L. Rptr. 63 (2010) (won $1.7 million judgment for subdivision developer after property owner reneged on agreement to convey easement necessary for subdivision road)
- Bank v. Thermo Elemental, Inc., 451 Mass. 638 (2008) (successful pursuit of contractual indemnity claim and environmental response cost recovery action under Chapter 21E)
- Moot v. Department of Environmental Protection, 448 Mass. 340 (2007) (a/k/a Moot I) (argued landmark Chapter 91 case; obtained temporary stay of the Supreme Judicial Court’s decision to allow Legislature to act, and successfully defended the new Landlocked Tidelands Act which was subsequently enacted)
- Devine & Devine Food Brokers, Inc. v. Wampler Foods, Inc., 313 F.3d 616 (2002) (successful defense of food producer to broker’s claim for a severance penalty)
- Boston Bar Association (Member, Environmental Sustainability Task Force, 2011-; former Co-Chair, Wetlands and Waterways Committee; former Steering Committee member, Environmental Law Section)
- Board of Editors, Boston Bar Journal (Member, 2013-)
- Real Estate Bar Association for Massachusetts (Member, Environmental Committee, 2012-; Member, Litigation Committee, 2012-)
- Environmental Business Council of New England
- Massachusetts Continuing Legal Education, Inc. (MCLE) (frequently serves as a faculty member)
- The Food Project (Board of Trustees, Chairman, 2014; Board of Trustees, Treasurer and Executive Committee member, 2008-)
- Former counsel to the Professional Conduct Committee of the National Council of Architect Registrations Boards (NCARB), which reviews disciplinary actions taken by Member Boards or courts of law against NCARB certificate holders and recommends whether NCARB should continue to provide certificates that enable architects to enjoy reciprocity among Member Boards
August 18, 2014 -
Fourteen Partners Earned Title "2015 Best Lawyers" and One Partner Named "Lawyer of the Year"
Fourteen SRBC partners have been recognized by their peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America© 2015. In addition, David Barry earned special recognition as "Boston Lawyer of the Year" for Product Liability Litigation-Defendants. ...
August 05, 2014 -
Dylan Sanders Rides in Eighth Annual Pan-Mass Challenge
For the eighth consecutive year, SRBC partner Dylan Sanders has cycled the Pan-Mass Challenge, a two-day, 192-mile cancer-research fundraising ride from Sturbridge to Provincetown, Massachusetts. The PMC is the nation's original fundraising bike-a-thon. One hundred percent of ...
February 19, 2014 -
Boston Bar Association Seeks Dylan Sanders as Law Day Dinner Steering Committee Member
Dylan Sanders has been invited to serve as a member of the Steering Committee of the Boston Bar Association's 2014 Law Day Dinner. The BBA Law Day Dinner is one of the largest annual bench bar events in Massachusetts. This year's event will take place on May 12 at the Boston Convention ...
February 12, 2014 -
Dylan Sanders Discusses Urban Agriculture Initiatives & Pro Bono Opportunities
SRBC partner Dylan Sanders will join a panel of community leaders at the Boston Bar Association on February 27 to discuss cultivating local and healthy food through urban agriculture.
November 06, 2013 -
Dedication in the Face of Celebration – Volunteering with the Food Project
The Boston Bar Association featured SRBC's Phelps Turner in the BBA blog post "Dedication in the Face of Celebration – Volunteering with the Food Project" on ...
October 22, 2013 -
21 SRBC Lawyers Recognized as Massachusetts Super Lawyers
Twenty-one lawyers from SRBC have been included in this year’s edition of Massachusetts Super Lawyers. Super Lawyers annually publishes the results of a peer-survey and independent-research study designed to identify leading lawyers by state. In this year’s listings, SRBC ...
August 15, 2013 -
Fifteen SRBC Partners Named “2014 Best Lawyers” and Two Ranked “Lawyer of the Year”
Fifteen SRBC partners have been ranked at the top of their profession,
including two partners earning special recognition as “Lawyer of the Year,” in
the 2014 edition of The Best Lawyers in America. Best Lawyers
is the oldest peer-review publication in the legal ...
August 07, 2013 -
Sugarman Rogers Attorneys Join BBJ Board of Editors
Sugarman, Rogers proudly congratulates Dylan Sanders and ...