Ed Barshak is the firm’s senior trial lawyer. He specializes in the trial of complex, multi-party business disputes, professional liability and product liability claims at the trial and appellate levels. He has represented numerous individuals, corporations, developers, and financial and educational institutions in matters of substantial significance - either in terms of the amounts at stake, or based on concerns such as adverse publicity. He also advises and represents individuals in domestic relations matters including divorce and separation, property settlements, alimony and child support, child custody and visitation, and pre-marital and post-marital agreements.
In addition to his extensive experience in state and federal trial courts, Ed has represented clients in more than 100 appeals in numerous subject areas including partnership disputes, civil rights and civil liberties, housing discrimination, domestic relations, insurance coverage, product liability, employment, municipal liability, and shareholder disputes. Many of these are matters he handled from the inception of the litigation, but a significant number are high-profile cases referred to him on appeal by other lawyers and previous clients. Ed also frequently serves as an arbitrator, master and mediator at the request of both private litigants and the courts.
- Fellow, American College of Trial Lawyers
- Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers For Business (described as “one of the very best litigators” in Massachusetts in the areas of professional liability and commercial litigation) 2005-2012
- The Best Lawyers in America in business litigation, personal injury and family law (all editions)
- Boston Best Lawyers “Lawyer of the Year” (Personal Injury Litigation—Defendants), 2014
- Massachusetts Super Lawyers (Business Litigation), Boston magazine, 2005-2014; Top 100 Lawyers in Massachusetts, 2004-2010; Top 100 Lawyers in New England, 2008-2010
- Boston Branch NAACP Special Award for Legal Assistance on a Continuing Basis
- William O. Douglas First Amendment Freedom Award (New England Region, Anti-Defamation League)
- Boston Bar Association Pro Bono Award to Sugarman, Rogers, Barshak & Cohen, P.C., for integrating pro bono activities into the day-to-day practice of law
- Rated AV® Preeminent™ by Martindale-Hubbell
- Boston Bar Association (former President and Vice-President; Director, Lawyers' Committee for Civil Rights Under Law)
- Massachusetts Bar Association
- American Bar Foundation
- Massachusetts Board of Bar Examiners (former Chairman, Joint Bar Committee on Judicial Appointments).
- American Law Institute and its Consultative Committee for the Restatement of the Law Governing Lawyers
- Former Trustee and frequent lecturer, Massachusetts Continuing Legal Education, Inc.