Natasha Lisman has more than 30 years of experience representing clients in federal and state trial and appellate courts, mediations, and domestic and international arbitrations arising out of disputes involving commercial transactions, insurance and reinsurance, and intellectual property. She also frequently serves as an arbitrator and mediator, either on an ad hoc basis or as a member of the panels of neutrals of the American Arbitration Association, the International Dispute Resolution Centre, and World Intellectual Property Organization.
Examples of Natasha’s most recent and ongoing matters:
- Representing reinsurers in cedents’ liquidation proceedings in New York and New Hampshire state courts and related federal court litigation
- Representing a Russian assignor of patent rights in a dispute with the U.S. assignee over royalties
- Advising a Russian manufacturer concerning strategy to protect its intellectual property rights in the United States
- Serving as a sole arbitrator in an international commercial arbitration requiring bilingual proceedings in English and Russian
- Serving as a party-appointed arbitrator in a reinsurance arbitration
- Chairing the panels in three arbitrations of commercial and directors-and-officers liability insurance coverage disputes (including lead responsibility for the preparation of reasoned awards)
- Serving as sole arbitrator in an international commercial arbitration arising out of a distribution and trademark licensing agreement (including authoring an extensive reasoned award)
- Rendering reasoned decisions in numerous World Intellectual Property Organization UDRP cases (posted on WIPO website)
- Serving as a mediator in an insurance coverage dispute
- The Best Lawyers in America (Arbitration, Commercial Litigation, Insurance Law, International Arbitration - Commercial, Litigation - Intellectual Property) 2007-2013
- Massachusetts Super Lawyers (Business Litigation), Boston magazine, 2005-2012; Top 50 Female Lawyers in Massachusetts, 2005, 2008-2012; Top 50 Female Lawyers in New England, 2010-2011
- Rated AV® Preeminent™ by Martindale-Hubbell
Recent Articles and Panel Presentations:
- "Arbitration Wars in Insurance Insolvency," ARIAS U.S. Quarterly, Vol. 18, No. 4 (2011)
- Speaker, “An American in Strasbourg: Practice Before the European Court of Human Rights,” a Boston Bar Association presentation, March 2, 2011
- Panelist, "Mock Arbitration Panel Deliberations and Decision," Massachusetts Reinsurance Bar Association Annual Symposium, October 1, 2009
- “Honoring the Honorable Engagement Clause in Judicial Review of Arbitral Awards: Should the Honorable Engagement Clause Preclude Any Scrutiny for Manifest Disregard of the Law,” ARIAS U.S. Quarterly, Vol. 14, No. 3 (2007)
- Panelist, "Arbitration Practice and Update 2007," a Massachusetts Continuing Legal Education seminar, October 9, 2007
- Co-chair, “Commercial Arbitration: Why and How," a Boston Bar Association seminar, October 6, 2005
- Chair, "Reinsurance Arbitration Soup to Nuts," a Boston Bar Association seminar, May 25, 2005
- American Bar Association
- Boston Bar Association (Co-Chair, International Law Section; former Co-Chair, International Dispute Resolution Committee; former member, BBA governing board; former Co-Chair, Litigation Section; former Chair, Appellate Litigation Committee)
- AIDA Reinsurance and Insurance Arbitration Society (member, International Committee)
- Russian-American Chamber of Commerce
- Massachusetts Reinsurance Bar Association (Founding Member)
- International Senior Lawyers Project (Executive Committee, 2010-; Board of Directors, 2001-)
Raised in the former Soviet Union and Poland until the age of seventeen, Natasha immigrated to the United States in 1962. She received her Bachelor’s degree cum laude from Brandeis University and pursued graduate studies in political science at MIT, where she won fellowships from the Ford and Woodrow Wilson Foundations and the American Association of University Women. After deciding to enter the law, she received her J.D. degree cum laude from Boston University School of Law in 1978.
October 24, 2012 -
22 SRBC Attorneys Recognized as "Super Lawyers"
Twenty-two SRBC lawyers have been listed among the top attorneys in Massachusetts in the annual Super Lawyers rankings.
September 12, 2012 -
Fifteen SRBC Lawyers Named Best Lawyers in America
Fifteen of SRBC's partners have been selected for inclusion in the 2013 edition of The Best Lawyers in America. Best Lawyers calls itself “the definitive guide to legal excellence in the United States.” The publication annually ...
October 26, 2011 -
Sixteen SRBC Partners Named 2011 Massachusetts Super Lawyers
Massachusetts Super Lawyers, an annual peer-review and independent-research survey designed to identify the top five percent of lawyers in the state, has named 16 SRBC partners to its 2011 listing. Several of the partners were also distinguished on shortlists of top lawyers ...
September 09, 2011 -
Thirteen SRBC Lawyers Named to Best Lawyers in America
The 2012 edition of The Best Lawyers in America, described as "the definitive guide to legal excellence in the U.S." and based on a nationwide peer survey of more than 3.9 million lawyers, has named 13 SRBC partners to its annual list. The partners, and the Best Lawyers ...